CODE OF CONDUCT FOR BUILDING OFFICIALS
The purpose of this Code is to promote appropriate standards of behaviour, honesty, integrity and enforcement actions for City of Mississauga building officials and, to prevent practices which may constitute an abuse of power by the chief building official or inspectors in the exercise of a power or the performance of a duty under the Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code.
CODE OF CONDUCT
The Chief Building Official and inspectors appointed by the City of Mississauga pursuant to the Building Code Act shall, at all times comply with the City of Mississauga Corporate Policies & Procedures in particular those for fraud and theft, conflict of interest and standard of behaviour and shall:
1. Abide by, and comply with, the provisions of the Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code and other Acts or Laws which regulate or govern building officials or their functions;
2. Act solely in the public interest when exercising authority and performing related duties;
3. Apply all relevant building laws, codes and standards in an impartial, consistent, fair and professional manner, independent of any external influence and without regard to personal interests;
4. Maintain required legislated qualifications, discharging all duties only in accordance with recognized area(s) of competence; and,
5. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with laws governing the freedom of information and the protection of privacy.
BREACHES OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT
Allegations of breach of this Code of Conduct shall be investigated promptly by the Chief Building Official in accordance with relevant City of Mississauga policies and procedures. Where allegations of breach are directed at the Chief Building Official, such shall be referred to the City Manager for investigation.
Disciplinary action arising out of such allegations is the responsibility of the municipality in accordance with relevant corporate policies and employment standards.