Port Credit Gallery
Displaying image 408 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Methodist Church, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: Methodist Church, Port Credit
Identifier: HA0053
Date Built: 1838
Image Type: B&W Photo
Subject: Churches - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Charlie Hare
Location: 47 Port Street West, Lot 8, Conc 3 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Lot 8, Conc 3 SDS. 47 Port Street West, east of Peter Street. This was the first Methodist Chapel in Port Credit and first church in the village. It was constructed under the direction of Rev. Peter Jones in 1838 of lime and lumber and was originally located on Lakeshore Road. When the second Methodist Church was built in 1894 the chapel was moved to Port Street and was used as a community hall. It was known as Shaw’s Hall, after James Robertson Shaw. In 1915 it was bought by the local Masonic lodge and extensively renovated. From the Harold Hare Collection
Agency: Mississauga Library System