Port Credit Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 8 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Alton Cottage and Playhouse, Port Credit
Identifier: G142
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1938
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit
Location: 425 Lakeshore Road West

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 425 Lakeshore Road West. This was part of the Bevark lakefront property, bounded on the west by Crozier Court and on the East by Godfrey’s Lane. The property was acquired by the City of Mississauga in 1976 and five of the cottages thereon were demolished to make way for the development of Cranberry Cove Park, now Rhododendron Gardens. 425 Lakeshore Road West was originally built in 1938 for Col. Thomas Sutton. During World War II it was rented to Norwegian officers serving in the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, and parts of the land were cultivated for Victory gardens.

The house was later winterized and occupied by Alex Gooderham, who built a large two-storey stucco barn. Upon Mr. Gooderham’s death the house was purchased in 1958 by Jack Soules, who rented it to Dr. Douglas and Janis Alton. The property was sold to Morning Dew Developments, who then sold it to Bevark, who in turn sold it to the City in 1976. The playhouse was built by Doug Alton in 1965 for his children. These buildings, along with four other cottages on the Bevark property, were demolished some time after 1980.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851