Port Credit Gallery
Displaying image 673 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Riverside Public School, Port Credit
Identifier: H177
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1893
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public schools - Ontario - Port Credit
Location: 30 John Street North

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 30 John Street North. Originally built in 1893 as a four room two-storey red brick schoolhouse with a bell on top. It was a famous landmark on the bank of the Credit River. The first Port Credit Library opened in the small teacher's room of the school in 1896 and remained there for many years. In 1952 an addition in gray brick was added to the school with six classrooms, a kindergarten and gym. In 1966 demolition was started to clear the site for an all-new electric addition. Riverside then became one of the first schools in Ontario to have a major all-electrically heated addition.
Agency: Mississauga Library System