- What is Reserve a Computer?
The Reserve a Computer program allows users with a valid Library card to reserve a computer for use in the Library.
- How do I reserve a computer?
Reservations are made on the Reserve a Computer web page that can be accessed:
- on the Library web site
- or at any catalogue computer in the Library.
- You need a valid library card and a PIN (typically the last 4 digits of your phone number) to make a reservation. A temporary barcode and PIN can be purchased if you do not have a library card.
- Can I use a computer without reserving it?
Yes. A reservation is not required to use a computer. You will still need your Library card and PIN (typically the last 4 digits of your phone number) to login to the computers.
- What types of computers can be reserved?
- 15 minute (not available at all library locations)
- 30 minute (not available at all library locations)
- 60 minute
- The Student Lab computers at the Courtneypark and Erin Meadows Libraries can be reserved by the public after 3:00 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends only. Note: Churchill Meadows Library Student Labs are available to the public after 3:30 p.m.
- How far in advance can I reserve a computer?
Computers can be reserved up to 2 days in advance.
- How many times can I reserve a computer?
You can reserve each type of computer once a day. To allow all customers fair access to the computers you can not have more than 4 future reservations at a time.
- Can I use a computer for longer than the time I reserved?
Yes, reservations can be extended provided no one else has reserved the computer after you.
- Is there a limit to how long I can use the computer for?
There is no limit to the amount of time that you can use the computer providing no one else has reserved it. The limits apply only to the amount of time that you can reserve on a computer. The reservation limits allow all Library customers equal opportunities to use the computers.
- How do I know if someone else has reserved the computer?
The computer will display 2 warning messages before logging you out and rebooting. Work that is not printed or saved by either using a USB key or emailed to your personal email account will be lost. You cannot save documents on library computers.
- What if I need to reserve more time to complete a special project?
Library staff can create special reservations for customers who need more than the basic time allowed.
- What if I am late for my reservation?
The computer will wait 10 minutes past your reserved time for you to login. If you do not login during the first 10 minutes your reservation will be cancelled. (Note: computer reservations will only be held for 5 minutes on 15 minute computers.)
- Do you track my computer use?
The Reserve a Computer system does not monitor or record what you do on the computer. It only records the date and time of your reservation(s) so that it can apply the reservation limits.
- What if I forget when my reservation is?
You can login to the Reserve a Computer web site to view your reservations or from any library catalogue computer.
- Can I cancel a reservation?
Yes, reservations can be cancelled on the Reserve a Computer web site or by clicking on the Future Reservations button on a Library computer.
- I do not have a Mississauga Library card. Can I still use the computers?
A valid Mississauga Library card is required to use Library computers. If you do not have a Library card or have forgotten your card a fee will be charged to issue you a temporary barcode number and PIN which will be required to log on to a library computer.
- If I do not use the mouse or keyboard will the computer time out?
Yes, after 3 minutes of inactivity the computer will display a message asking if you are still there. If you do not respond to the message after a further 2 minutes the computer will reboot.
- What if I need to leave the computer for a few minutes?
To protect your session when picking up print jobs, etc. click on the "Take a Break" button. "Take a Break" will not allow other customers to see your work. You must return to the computer within the time indicated in the "Take a Break" message and enter your PIN in the designated space. Note: this option is not available when the computer is in session extension.
- Can I login early for my reservation?
No. If you try to login before your reserved time you will have the option of cancelling your reservation and using the computer immediately, or waiting for your reserved time. Note: if you do choose to cancel your future reservation and use the computer immediately, a full session is not guaranteed.
- Can I reserve multiple computers for a class or group visit?
Library staff can create special reservations for groups.