Streetsville Gallery
Displaying image 399 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Leslie Log House, Streetsville
  View Full size image
Title: Leslie Log House, Streetsville
Identifier: PH3035
Date of Original Photo: 1983
Date Built: 1826
Image Type: Slide, 35 mm
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 4415 Mississauga Road, pt. Lots 3 & 4, Range 5 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 4415 Mississauga Road. Range 5 NDS, pt. Lots 3& 4. The Leslie Log House was originally the home of John Leslie Sr. and his wife Esther Beattie Leslie who came to Upper Canada in 1824 from Sutherlandshire, Scotland. John Leslie Sr. leased 200 acres to the north of Streetsville and 21 years later bought the property, Toronto Township Lot 12, south half, Concession 5 W.H.S. In 1826 he built this white cedar, storey-and-a-half log house. The house was a short distance from Mullet Creek. There were seven children in the Leslie family. One, Robert Leslie, was a master builder. Another, George, ran a successful nursery in the area that became known as Leslieville, Toronto. In 1860 the house was renovated to give it a more neo-classical appearance with a wide central door flanked by side lights. Another later addition was a full basement with stone walls. By 1880 the house was covered in clapboard siding. The siding was removed about 1960. In 1994 the Leslie Log House was relocated from 7250 Mississauga Road, just north of Derry Road in the Meadowvale area, to its current location on the Pinchin property, 4415 Mississauga Road. This 26 foot by 36 foot building is a rare example in Mississauga of early 19th century log construction. There have been a number of renovations, such as the addition and later removal of a summer kitchen, but the original structure has been preserved. It is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System