The weather forecast for Southern Ontario is predicting 50 to 75 millimetres of rainfall ending on Sunday, May 7. With the ground already saturated from heavy rain earlier in the week, this rainfall may have significant effects on the City’s river systems and water levels of Lake Ontario.
“We are working closely with the Region of Peel and conservation authorities to monitor the situation and implement precautionary measures to prevent or minimize flooding and related problems,” said Geoff Wright, Commissioner, Transportation and Works. “Our crews are ready to respond to reports of blocked catch basins or road flooding and will continue to monitor the situation over the weekend.”
For safety and to reduce potential damage, the following measures are recommended:
- Avoid walking or driving in flooded areas
- Stay away from creeks, rivers and streams
- Clear debris from catch basins near your home or business, as long as it is safe to do so
- Call 311 to report blocked catch basins or road flooding in your neighbourhood
- Do not open any sewer manholes under any circumstances
To report flooding, please call 3-1-1. For emergency assistance, please call 9-1-1.