From May 1 to 7, the City of Mississauga is hosting its annual Rebel campaign. The campaign empowers youth ages 13 to 30 to get involved and make a difference within their community through music, film, the arts, culture and sport. Rebel16 features free drop-ins, workshops, events and activities all created by youth for youth.
Rebel16 Event Highlights
- Saturday, April 30 from 4 to 7 p.m.: Pre-conference workshop with Ink Movement at Benares Historic House.
- Sunday, May 1 at noon: Rebel16 free kickoff event at Clarkson Community Centre and Library – enjoy live performances, food and activities.
- Monday, May 2 at 10:30 a.m.: More than 1,700 students from across Peel will participate in Ontario Summer Games (OSG) 101 at Mississauga Celebration Square – a countdown to the Games. The event also marks Music Monday, an annual celebration that connects youth across the country to celebrate the gift of music. Students will get the chance to sing along to We are One, the Music Monday anthem which will be sung across the country.
- Monday, May 2 to Thursday, May 5 from 3 to 5:30 p.m.: Youth artists will perform at 10 City community centres in the Rebel Lounge.
- Wednesday, May 4 at 6 p.m.: Film presentation and online expressive activity (open to all) targeted to Aboriginal Youth at Benares Visitor Centre.
- Thursday, May 5 at 6 p.m.: Meadowvale Theatre is hosting a technical workshop for youth who want to learn how to set up a band on stage with lighting and sound.
- Sunday, May 1 to Saturday, May 7: Mississauga libraries are offering a variety of Rebel16 programs for youth throughout the week.
For a full list of all Rebel16 events and activities, please visit: mississauga.ca/rebel. To get involved in Rebel16 week, email email@example.com. Also follow @SaugaYouth on Twitter and Instagram and use the hashtag #Rebel16.
- Rebel16 marks National Youth Week, National Youth Arts Week and Music Monday.
- More than 8,000 youth participated in Rebel Week in 2015.
- Last year, youth donated 1,657 volunteer hours during Rebel15.
Senior Communications Advisor
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200, ext. 5053