Join in the spirit of the Games as the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay makes its way through Mississauga’s Lakeside Park on Wednesday, August 5, 2015.
“Welcoming the Parapan Am Flame to Mississauga in kick-off of the largest Parapan American Games ever held is an honour for our city,” said Mayor Bonnie Crombie. “Events like these inspire local pride in para-sports and para-athletes. It brings people of all abilities together in our community to celebrate how sport can positively impact and benefit everyone.”
Torchbearers will each complete a 200-metre segment around the park including Mississauga’s community torchbearer Nydia Langill. Langill is a Paralympic swimmer and Mississauga resident who will compete in the Parapan Am Games running August 7 to 15.
“It is an honour to be selected as a torchbearer,” said Langill. “My hope is that I can inspire other young people with physical disabilities to work hard and pursue their dreams no matter the obstacles they may face along the way.”
TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay in Mississauga
When and Where:
Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at Lakeside Park
6 p.m. Community BBQ as we await the arrival of the Parapan Am flame to Mississauga. Free family fun:
- Community BBQ, courtesy of Real Canadian Superstore and Enbridge, for the first 500 guests
- Face painting, caricatures and balloon animals
- First 500 guests will receive a special give-a-way!
- Discover the Art of Sport; Fitness Follies – three interactive public art installations along the Mississauga waterfront trail that encourage participants of all ages and abilities to test their balance, agility and perception.
7 p.m. Torch Relay and Community Cauldron Lighting Ceremony – Starting with a torch lighting ceremony the Parapan Am flame will make its way around Lakeside Park and return to the stage to ignite the community cauldron. The ceremony will conclude with the unveiling of the Art of Sport; Fitness Follies.
8 p.m. Community Celebration ending the day with a Celtic performance by Steel City Rover.
- Acting Mayor, Pat Saito (Councillor, Ward 9)
- Members of Council
- Stella Ambler, MP Mississauga South
- TORONTO 2015 Pan Am / Parapan Am Games Organizing Committee (TO2015)
- Elder Garry Sault and Chief Bryan LaForme, Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation
- Steel City Rovers
- RAW Design
About Nydia Langill – Mississauga Community Torchbearer
A resident of Mississauga since 2007, Nydia Langill started swimming competitively at age nine and fell in love with the sport. In addition to the Parapan Am Games, Langill represented Canada at the IPC World Championships in July 2015 placing 7th in the women’s SB6100m breaststroke. Langill trains at One Health Club and Oakville Swim Academy in Mississauga and in her free time enjoys playing with her dog and watching movies.
“It is an honour to be selected as a torch bearer,” said Langill. “It is definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am very excited to be competing so close to home with so many friends and family members in the stands. My hope is that I can inspire other young people with physical disabilities to work hard and pursue their dreams no matter the obstacles they may face along the ways.”
About the Art of Sport; Fitness Follies
The City of Mississauga commissioned RAW Design to develop the Art of Sport; Fitness Follies – three temporary public art installations at Lakeside Park as part of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am / Parapan Am Games.
- The design takes inspiration from the body’s motions and the language of sport and game.
- Envisioned as an abstract fitness trail each piece is designed to engage the body in a different way, encouraging participants to test their balance, agility and perception.
- Each piece is accessible for persons of all ages and abilities.
- Funded by the Community Celebrations Fund for the TO2015 Pan Am / Parapan Am Games through Canada Heritage.
The Art of Sport will be unveiled at the Parapan Am Games Torch Relay community celebration in Mississauga on August 5, 2015.
Learn more about
- The Torch
- Torchbearer Uniforms
- TO2015 Parapan Am Torch Relay
- TO2015 Pan Am / Parapan Am Games in Mississauga
- Local Mississauga athletes
Quick Facts about the TO2015 Parapan Am Games in Mississauga
- Mississauga is 1 of 5 Parapan Am host cities
- Of 16 parasports Mississauga will host three: goal ball, wheelchair rugby and powerlifting