Whether you’re a resident, visitor or commuter in Mississauga, knowing your rights when using a towing service in Mississauga and what to do at a collision scene will help prepare you in the event of an unexpected vehicle collision.
Your Rights under the Tow Truck By-Law:
- You have the right to choose which tow truck provider you use.
- You have the right to choose where you want your vehicle towed to, unless told otherwise by emergency personnel at the scene (tow truck drivers are not emergency personnel).
- The only document you should sign is the Permission to Tow a Vehicle form, which does not commit you to having any work done on your vehicle other than having it towed.
- Tow truck drivers are required to accept multiple forms of payment, including cash, debit and credit.
- The tow truck driver must provide you with an itemized bill of services before demanding payment.
- The cost of collision-related towing is $300 +HST or $400 +HST if the trip requires a stop at a Collision Reporting Centre.
- Additional fees can only be applied for towing outside of Mississauga.
Collision Scene Tips:
- Take photos of any damage.
- Read the Permission to Tow a Vehicle form before you sign.
- Don’t sign anything you haven’t read or don’t understand.
- Look for the City of Mississauga licence plate in the rear window of the tow truck.
- Record all names and licence plate numbers.
- Keep track of dates, times and locations.
- Take your personal belongings with you.
- Know beforehand which tow truck company you will use to tow your vehicle.
Vehicle accidents will take you by surprise, but knowing your rights and having the correct information will help you feel more confident when dealing with an unexpected collision.
The information above can be found in the Traffic Collision Towing Guide, which can be picked up at the Mobile Licensing office or accessed online at mississauga.ca/towtruck.