The library offers help to at-risk individuals and homeless people in Mississauga who need advice or support from a qualified social worker. The Open Window Hub outreach worker will respond to requests for assistance at all library locations.
At Open Window Hub, we put vulnerable young people and adults in touch with treatment, housing and employment services to help integrate them back into the community. The Open Window Hub is available at:
- C Cafe (Civic Centre)
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (by appointment only after 1 p.m.)
- Malton Community Centre
- Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Port Credit Memorial Arena
- Monday: 1 to 3 p.m.
- Friday, August 20
Peel Police and Community Partners Barbecue
11 a.m. – 2 p.m. | 157 Lakeshore Road West (Westedge Community Church)
You can use the showers at the following recreation locations in the city:
- Carmen Corbasson Community Centre
- Clarkson Community Centre
- Erin Meadows Community Centre
- Frank McKechnie Community Centre
- Huron Park Recreation Centre
- Malton Community Centre
- Meadowvale Community Centre
- Mississauga Valley Community Centre
- Port Credit Arena
- River Grove Community Centre
- South Common Community Centre
Individuals can obtain a no cost Shower Access Pass at the reception desk during daily operating hours. Daily operating hours will vary by location and subject to change due based on status of re-opening of City facilities. Check the links above or contact the facility for details.
If you are in immediate danger, call 911. If you or someone you know needs assistance, contact the following resources to seek support.
Veroy Clarke, Project Coordinator Open Window Hub
905-615-3200 x3824 or 437-233-7584
Avery Cartwright, Outreach Worker Open Window Hub
905-615-3200 x3541 or 437-245-6787
Food Banks: Call 211 or Region of Peel at 905-971-7800 or visit www.peelregion.ca. There are programs that distribute free groceries or vouchers to eligible individuals and families on low incomes.
Region of Peel: Call 905-791-7800 or toll free: 1-888-919-7800 or visit www.peelregion.ca for homeless or at-risk of homelessness support. Services include emergency and transitional shelters, street outreach, support series and help to find permanent housing.
Transitional housing: Call Services and Housing in the Province (SHIP) at 905-795-8742 for transitional housing support. Transitional housing is a temporary, supportive type of housing. It offers structure, supervision, support and life skills to help people go from homelessness to permanent housing.
Mental health supports:
- Distress Centre Peel at 905-278-7208
- Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868
- Mental Health Mobile Crisis Centre of Peel at 905-278-9036
- Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700
- Youth Mental Health Crisis Response Service at 416-410-8615