Alfred W. Briggs, one of the original trustees appointed by Mary Louise Clarke to oversee Alfred Russell Clarke Memorial Hall, explained to the historian William Perkins Bull how the hall was built. Reverend J.H. Dudgeon, of Port Credit Methodist Church, convinced Mary Louise Clarke of Toronto and Lorne Park to purchase next door to the church to build a hall. The hall was used for Methodist Sunday School and other church meetings as well as community concerts, court games, gymnastics, banquets, and small gatherings. She and her committee were issued a building permit in 1922. She named the hall in memory of her late husband who had died as a result of pneumonia which set in after he had initially survived the 1915 sinking of the Lusitania luxury liner on the North Atlantic.
The hall’s ownership and management were assumed by Port Credit Village in 1941; and from 1941 to 1974 the hall housed the Port Credit Council chambers and municipal offices as well as accommodating community functions. It remains a community hall.
Alfred Russell Clarke Memorial Hall stands out as a landmark by its prominent location on the village’s main east-west street and by its uncommon architectural style – Spanish Colonial Revival.
905-615-4830 (affiliated with Port Credit Arena)
Clarke Hall is an ideal location to host your next event. Clarke Hall is perfect for intimate gatherings, large socials, meetings, weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, showers, or religious gatherings.
(Capacity depends on room set-up)
Limited parking available on site. On-street and public parking lots are located nearby.