This one room schoolhouse was built in 1872 to replace an earlier one room school located on Barberry Lane. It is a frame structure with vertical board-and-batten siding, gable ends, cornice returns. The ends of the battens are finished in a scallop pattern under the eaves. On the north and south elevation are large wood, multi-paned windows, original in aperture, but not detail. The north side has four windows and seven on the south façade. The school ceased to function as a school in the early 1960s and became a community facility which continues today. Its location within the Village and associated open space has always been a focal point in the Village.
One interesting item that had been housed in the Village Hall for over 60 years was the painting by Fred Haines “Indians on the Credit.” From about 1909 to the late 1960s the painting hung above the stage area at the front of the room. Haines had gifted the painting to the school and requested that it remain there so long as the building served a community purpose. The painting is now on display on the second floor outside Council Chambers at Mississauga’s City Hall.
The structure has architectural significance as it is distinct within the Village HCD and is representative of a one room schoolhouse of the late nineteenth century. Its context is significant as the location has been host to community events for over 100 years with its open green space around the building and high visibility to the streetscape.
Affiliated with Meadowvale Community Centre – 905-615-4710
Located in historic Meadowvale Village this 19th century one room school house meets all your social needs for up to 75 people. Meadowvale Hall has all the conveniences of a modern hall and is located in a beautiful parkland setting. Meadowvale Village Hall is perfect for medium gatherings, meetings, milestone functions, birthdays, and training sessions or workshops.
(Capacity depends on room set-up)
Parking is available onsite.