Special Events

Special events include community gatherings and celebrations such as socials, sporting events, cultural group activities, temporary farmer's markets and grand openings of commercial businesses or other similar events. The Mobile Licensing section issues operating licences for various types of special events held in Mississauga.

A special event licence is required:

  • when an event includes vendors selling any service or product
  • when sales proceeds are being donated
  • when a service or product is being given out for free, but is paid for by the event organizer or other involved party
  • whether on private or public property

To obtain a licence for a special event read and complete the Special Event Licence Application Form & Event Organizer Participation Agreement.

For questions, refer to the Special Event Licensing FAQ's.

Changes to Licensing of Vendors at Special Events and Farmer's Markets - Effective May 27, 2015

The City's Vendors, Vehicle Licensing and Ice Cream Truck Vendors By-laws were amended to streamline the process for vendors to be licensed at special events and farmer’s markets.

Special event organizers have greater responsibility to ensure vendors meet municipal bylaws.  Vendors are licensed at events for consumer protection and public safety.  With the new process special event organizers will be responsible for ensuring payment of vendors’ fees and insurance and any documents to ensure public safety.

This new process will involve one application and one fee with vendors working directly with event organizers.

For details read: Recommended Changes to the Vendor By-law 522-04, as amended, Vehicle Licensing By-law 520-04, as amended, and Ice Cream Truck Vendors By-law 523-04, as amended, for Special Event Licensing

For more information or to register a complaint, contact the Mobile Licensing Section.