Janice Baker joined the City of Mississauga in May, 1999 as Commissioner of Corporate Services and Treasurer and was promoted to City Manager and Chief Administrative Officer in 2005. As City Manager/CAO, Janice works with a Leadership Team of four Commissioners to direct the efficient and effective operation of the City's administration; to give the best professional advice to the Mayor and Council and to build strong relationships with the Council, the staff and the public.
After several years in the private sector, Janice discovered local government in 1987 and found her passion. Since then, she has spent her career helping to build communities, having previously held senior roles at both the City of St. John's, Newfoundland and the City of Oshawa, Ontario.
Janice has received a number of awards including:
- three time WXN Top 100 Award winner in the Public Sector Leaders category in 2005, 2007, and 2009;
- inducted into the WXN Canada’s Top 100 Most Powerful Women’s Hall of Fame in 2010;
- the FCPA designation from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (ICAO) in 2011;
- the Excellence in Municipal Finance Award from the Municipal Finance Officers Association of Ontario (MFOA) in 2011.
- the Vanier Medal from the Institute of Public Administration of Canada (IPAC) in 2019, becoming the first local government leader to be recognized with this award.
She currently serves on several Boards and Committees including:
- the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC);
- the Healthy Cities Stewardship Centre.
Previous Board service includes:
- the Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario (ICAO);
- the Ontario Municipal Administrators’ Association Board (OMAA);
- the Trillium Health Centre;
- the Canadian Urban Institute (CUI);
- the Board of Local Authority Services (LAS), a subsidiary of the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO);
- the Association of Municipalities Ontario (AMO);
- the Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators (CAMA), serving as President in 2018;
- the GFOA Executive Board; the GFOA Committee on Canadian Issues;
- the Board of the MFOA (Municipal Finance Officers Association), serving as chair in 2002;
Janice has a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland and holds the designations of Chartered Professional Accountant and earned the designation of ICD.D in 2019. She currently lives in Mississauga with her husband Keith.