How to File a Claim
Civic Centre and Square

If you have suffered a loss for which you believe the City may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below for the City to consider your claim. Please refer to the Claims: Frequently Asked Questions and Claim Form for more information.

There are cases that require you to place the City on notice within 10 days of the incident. To ensure that your claim does not fall outside of the notice period, in all circumstances, please forward it to the City within 10 days.

Please note that payment in respect of property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the City being found legally liable.


 How Can We Help You?

Please choose one of the following:

 Claim File Process
 Frequently Asked Questions
 Claim Form - Word Document or Fillable PDF
 Claim File Process

1.  Prepare your notice of claim in writing, and ensure it contains the following information:

  • The name, mailing address, and telephone number of the person making the claim;
  • The contact name, mailing address, email, and telephone number of the person submitting the claim if different from above;
  • The date, approximate time of the claim, and location (address or closest intersection);
  • A brief description of what happened;
  • The name of any contractor involved (if known).

Fraudulent claims cost all taxpayers, for that reason all fraudulent claims will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Submit your claim to the Attention: Risk Manager, using one of the following methods:

Regular Mail:
City of Mississauga
Risk Management Office
300 City Centre Drive,
Mississauga, Ontario L5B 3C1

Fax: (905) 896-5267

Note: Claim Form - Word Document or Fillable PDF - and return it to us in one of the listed methods above.

2.  Response Time
Upon receipt of your claim, Risk Management will acknowledge your claim within 2 weeks. In most cases, an investigation will be commenced upon receipt of your claim and a final response will be forwarded within 4 weeks. Please keep in mind that this is not a guarantee and that there are times where the response time may be longer.

If you have any further questions about the claims notification process, please contact Risk Management at (905) 615-3922

3.  Regional of Peel / MTO
For claims involving the Region of Peel, for example, vehicle damage occurring on a regional road or damage resulting from a sanitary sewer, please contact the Region of Peel Risk Management Department at (905) 791-7800.

For claims involving the Ministry of Transportation, for example, vehicle damage occurring on Highway 401, please contact the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, Risk Management and Insurance Services Branch, at (416) 314-3445.