Paying with cash
You can pay a $4 cash fare when boarding a MiWay bus.
MiWay cannot give you change for cash fares.
Paying with open payment
Open payment is accepted on MiWay buses.
When using open payment on MiWay, you’ll be charged the $4 cash fare price.
What is open payment?
Open payment allows you to pay a $4 cash fare using a contactless (tap feature enabled) credit card. Open payments also include mobile wallets on smartphones, such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and more.
While most contactless credit cards can be tapped on PRESTO devices to pay, some credit cards are not yet accepted. Please contact PRESTO Customer Service for more information.
Debit cards are not currently accepted. Prepaid credit cards and gift cards will not work.
Benefits of open payment
- You can pay a $4 cash fare if you don’t have exact change or a PRESTO card.
- No need to ask for a paper transfer. PRESTO machines will be able to know if you paid your fare using a credit card or mobile wallet within the transfer period.
- Ride free on MiWay when you connect with GO Transit using the same open payment method within the transfer period.
- You can add a credit card to your PRESTO account online to track your transaction history.
The senior $1 fare and other discounted concession fares are not available through open payment.
Participating transit agencies
You can pay a $4 cash fare using your credit card on the following transit systems:
- Brampton Transit
- GO Transit
- Oakville Transit
- York Region Transit, Durham Region Transit, Burlington Transit (starting Jan. 23, 2023)
Paying with a PRESTO card
Using a PRESTO card is the best way to pay your fare on MiWay.
With a PRESTO card you can:
- Pay a single fare with the funds loaded onto your card.
- Load a MiWay monthly pass onto your card.
Benefits of PRESTO
- It’s the least expensive way to pay your fare.
- You can ride free on MiWay when you connect with GO Transit using your PRESTO card.
- You’re eligible for MiWay’s PRESTO loyalty program discount.
- There are concession fare discounts for children, youth and seniors.
- You can register your PRESTO card online to autoload funds, auto renew your monthly pass and get balance recovery and an overdraft trip.
- Load funds instantly and manage your PRESTO card anytime, anywhere, using the PRESTO app on Android or iOS.
At this time, you cannot add your PRESTO card into the mobile wallet on your smartphone to use as a method of payment to tap on.
Learn more about PRESTO.