In accordance with the Municipal Act, 2001 and the City of Mississauga Council Procedure By-law 139-2013, all meetings of Council or its Committees are open to the public unless the subject-matter being discussed relates to the following:
- The security of the property of the municipality;
- Personal matters about an identifiable individual, including a municipal employee;
- A proposed or pending acquisition or disposition of land for municipal purposes;
- Labour relations or employee negotiations;
- Litigation or potential litigation, including matters before administrative tribunals, affecting the municipality;
- Advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communication necessary for that purpose;
- A matter in respect of which the Council or Committee may hold a closed meeting under another Act;
- An education or training session for the members or Council or Committee, provided that no member discusses or otherwise deals with the matter in a way that materially advances the business or decision-making of Council or the Committee.
The City of Mississauga has retained Local Authority Services (LAS) Investigator Services to address public complaints regarding closed session meeting of Council and its committees. A person who believes that a meeting of Council or one of its committees was held in closed session, in contravention of the Municipal Act, 2001 and the City of Mississauga's Council Procedure By-law, should submit a letter outlining the complaint and requesting an investigation. The letter should be submitted in a sealed envelope, clearly marked as a document requesting a closed meeting investigation, to the City Clerk delivered in person or sent by mail to: City of Mississauga, Office of the City Clerk, 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, Ontario, L5B 3C1.
Once received, the City Clerk will immediately forward the written complaint to LAS Investigator Services for investigation. For more information regarding the investigation process please visit http://www.las.on.ca/Services/Closed-Meeting-Investigator/The-LAS-Investigation-Process.aspx