Maintaining your home is an important part of home ownership. Maintenance improves property value and increases the safety and comfort of your home. One improvement you can easily make is to disconnect any downspouts connected to the sewer system.
Properly disconnecting your downspouts allows storm water to flow away from your foundation onto gardens, landscaped areas and lawns. This way, water slowly soaks into the ground, where it is naturally filtered and returned to the water table.
The benefits of disconnecting your downspouts are:
- improved water quality in local streams and rivers
- a source of free water for your lawn and gardens
- protecting you and your entire neighbourhood, by keeping unnecessary water out of the sewer systems and reducing the risk of flooding.
Instructions for disconnecting your downspout
- A step-by-step look at how to disconnect your downspout
- How to disconnect you downspout instructional video
- Guidelines for maintaining your home by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
- Fusion landscaping and Rain Barrels
- Your Green Yard Program