As per City of Mississauga's Fireworks By-law,
residents must be aware of the following regulations:
- Fireworks may only be set off on Statutory Holidays such as Victoria Day, Canada Day or on
a day for which a permit has been issued by the Fire Chief and only on the property listed
within the permit.
- NO fireworks can be set off on a public street or roadway within Mississauga at any
- NO fireworks can be set off in a park at anytime without a valid approved permit.
- NO person shall hold a public fireworks display without a permit issued by the Fire
What You Should Know About Fireworks?
- Follow the laws and regulations regarding the purchase and use of fireworks.
- Purchase your fireworks from a reliable source only that sells products meeting safety
- Stay away from purchasing illegal explosives or firecrackers.
Setting up Fireworks:
- Read the instructions, cautions and warnings on each firework item.
- Store unused fireworks in a closed box away from the firework being lit.
- Do not smoke around the fireworks.
- Set up fireworks outdoors in a clear, open space and place them on a hard, flat level
surface to ensure stability.
- Check the direction of the wind and set up the fireworks display so that the direction of
the wind is blowing away from the spectators.
- Spectators should be situated away from the display at the distance deemed safe as outlined
on the fireworks label.
- Special care should be taken with the supervision on children.
- Always have a bucket of sand, a supply of water and a working fire extinguisher in close
- Never handle fireworks unless you are an adult (18 years or older).
- Never handle fireworks if you are impaired (alcohol or drugs).
- Never light more than one firework item at a time.
- Never light fireworks without wearing protective eye glasses and gloves. Light fireworks at
arm's length and then stand back.
- Never lean over the fireworks; keep hair and clothes away from the fire source.
- Never attempt to re-light a "dud" or defective firework.
- Never hold a lighted firework item in your hand.
- Sparklers should be immersed in a bucket of sand to cool down after burning out as they
remain very hot for some time.
- Fireworks should always be disposed in a safe and proper manner.