Eden Cemetery is located at 2830 Derry Road West on the Southside of Derry Road West, between Glen Erin Drive and Winston Churchill Boulevard. Located originally among the North-West farmlands of Toronto Township, the area surrounding the cemetery has rapidly developed from its rural setting to a modern day urban suburb.
Eden Cemetery started prior to 1840 on the farm of John Switzer. John Switzer received the farm in 1834 from his father Samuel. In 1840, John Switzer sold 42 perches for five pounds to five trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist Church for the site of a chapel and burying ground. Today, the cemetery stands alone as the Eden Church was demolished in August of 1980.
|First Burial on Record:
|Acres of Land:
|Approximate # of Burials:
A Part of Mississauga's History
Eden Cemetery was a burying ground for many of the area's earliest pioneers and is good example of nineteenth century cemetery design. It is characterized by a naturalistic setting to attract and comfort the living, the creation of a secure space for the dead and the use of markers and monuments to perpetuate the memory of individuals that serve historic importance.
The markers and monuments with their surviving inscriptions, ornamentation, styles, materials and symbolism reflect the important link not only to the inhabitants of Lisgar but to the overall history of Mississauga.