Erindale Cosmopolitan Cemetery
The Erindale Cosmopolitan (Union) Cemetery is located at the North-East corner of Dundas Street West (Hwy. 5). It is adjacent to the Cemetery of St. Peter's - Erindale Anglican Church, overlooking the Credit River and the former village of Springfield-on-the-Credit, which is presently known as Erindale.
Early burials date back to 1865. However, the original early burial registry up to 1930 has never been found. Some of the early prominent names of the families buried in the cemetery are Albertson, Conover, Falconer, Forester, Patchett, Shain and Taylor.
|First Burial on Record:
|Approximate # of Burials:
Historical Value Makes It a Beloved Resting Place
Erindale Cosmopolitan has great historical value as an active cemetery which has continued to serve the community for many generations. The arrangement, symbolism and material of the monuments contribute to our understanding of the historical figures that they commemorate.
The cemetery was originally formed for those who did not belong to the Church of England. As a result, it adjoins St. Peter's Anglican Cemetery with a row of concrete posts that are 18" high, indicating a boundary line. The trustees in 1865 included: George Falconer, Emerson Taylor, Charles Anderson, Ira Stafford, Henry McGill, George Hannah and James Conover.