Moore's Cemetery, sometimes referred to as Bell's Cemetery, is located at 2030 Derry Road East on the south side between Bramalea Road and Torbram Road. The cemetery was part of the farm owned by Samuel Moore, and was restored in 1934 by the Malton Women's Institute.
The cemetery is located on the former Moore property while the associated Presbyterian log chapel was situated on adjacent land, donated by James Trotter of York. In the 1920's, Trotter donated half an acre to the trustees of the church. The rest of the lot was sold to the Moore family. Samuel Moore is considered to be the first pioneer of Malton.
|First Burial on Record:
|Acres of Land:
|Approximate # of Burials:
Where the Original Pioneers of Malton Rest
Moore's Cemetery is one of the last remaining physical remnants of pioneer life in the Malton area. It served for over one hundred and fifty years and is associated with significant residents of the area. It yields information that contributes to an understanding of the original settlers of Malton. It is still an active cemetery.
Moore's Cemetery is a good representation of nineteenth century cemetery design. It is characterized by a natural setting, markers and monuments in a park like layout.It is now an island of green surrounded by industry.