Streetsville Memorial Cemetery
Streetsville Memorial Cemetery is located at 299 Queen Street South. The cemetery is an integral part of the village, a local landmark and a significant cultural landscape full of history.
Before the erection of the Presbyterian Church next to the cemetery, interments were held within confines of a forest. Timothy Street, whom Streetsville is name after, wished this interment situation to be remedied. In 1824, he sold the land to five trustees of the Presbyterian Church for five shillings. With this, Street sought to end the practice of interring the dead in a forest and for years Streetsville Memorial was the only Protestant burying ground.
|First Burial on Record:
|Acres of Land:
|Approximate # of Burials:
An Invaluable Piece of Mississauga's History
In 1967, the grounds were restored as broken stones were repaired and many were moved into large cemented walls. The brick and stone gateway was erected to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the incorporation of Streetsville village and the 10th anniversary of the City of Mississauga. The decorative stone work originally formed part of a prominent nineteenth century Streetsville home; the Solomon J. Barnhart House.