The City of Mississauga is set to begin rehabilitation of the Small Arms Inspection Building with an official groundbreaking ceremony on June 17.
The project has been approved for up to $1 million in federal government funding through the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program (CIP 150). The rehabilitation of the building is intended to create a dynamic facility that will support community, culture, arts, and heritage uses.
Small Arms Inspection Building Rehabilitation Project Groundbreaking Ceremony
- Mayor Bonnie Crombie
- Jim Tovey, Ward 1 Councillor
- Sven Spengemann, MP Mississauga-Lakeshore
- The Honourable Charles Sousa, MPP Mississauga South and Minister of Finance
Saturday, June 17, 2017
Official ceremony begins at 11 a.m.
Following the ceremony, a tree planting will take place to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.
Light refreshments to follow.
Small Arms Inspection Building
1352 Lakeshore Rd. E.
Available at 1345 Lakeshore Rd. E., on the northwest corner of Lakeshore Rd.E. and Dixie Rd.
Constructed in 1941, the Small Arms Inspection Building is an industrial facility that was part of the former Small Arms Ltd. munitions factory complex that operated on the Arsenal Lands. The Small Arms Building and Arsenal Lands were acquired by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) in 1992, with a portion of the lands and building conveyed to the City of Mississauga in 2017. The City designated the building as being of cultural heritage value or interest under the Ontario Heritage Act in 2009.
CIP 150 in Mississauga:
The City of Mississauga was awarded approximately $5.6 million in Government of Canada funding for 54 infrastructure rehabilitation projects through Intake 1 and 2 of CIP 150. The CIP 150-approved City projects include the rehabilitation of 19 trails, 26 playgrounds and nine specific renovation projects such as Lake Aquitaine Park, Riverwood, South Common Community Centre and the Small Arms Inspection Building.