The City of Mississauga’s Economic Development Office (EDO) has been ranked one of the top 20 local and regional groups representing Canada’s Best Locations by Site Selection magazine. This is the fourth year in a row that EDO has received this acknowledgment. The ranking is based on corporate end-user facility investment, job creation data and the magazine’s own research.
“Mississauga continues to be a place where businesses choose to invest and thrive, thanks to the efforts of our dedicated Economic Development Team,” said Bonnie Crombie, Mayor of Mississauga. “Given our strategic location and highly skilled and talented workforce, Mississauga is an attractive place for businesses of all sizes looking to invest. Working together, we will remain a hub for jobs and prosperity in the years to come.”
The 2020 results are based on data from April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020. The selection process includes:
- The number of new facilities and expansions per capita
- Project capital investment per capita
- Job creation per capita
- Subjective analyses of website resources, programming and outreach efforts
“We’re honoured to receive this recognition for the fourth year in a row. I really want to acknowledge the hard work of the Economic Development Office during such an unpredictable and disruptive time,” said Bonnie Brown, Director, Economic Development. “In securing business, the City continues to deliver on its strategic plan, including building and expanding our local economy. Thank you to Site Selection for recognizing us.”
Mississauga continues to attract creative and innovative companies with recent investments that include:
- Plug and Play: co-located in BASF’s head office to work with start-ups to test solutions in sectors such as supply chain, food, materials, energy, mining and automotive.
- Goodfood Market Corp: slated to open in summer 2021; invested in a 200,000 square feet fulfilment centre, which will create 2,000 jobs.
- Printful: opening at the end of 2020, invested in $2.8 million to develop a fulfillment centre, creating up to 50 jobs.
- Sire Biosciences: opened new headquarters that will include operational headquarters for Fusion Nutrition Inc.
- White Studios Inc.: opened a 181,000 square feet production space – its second studio location in Mississauga
Mississauga will be highlighted alongside other top Canadian economic development groups in Site Selection’s September 2020 issue.
To learn more about the top 20 Canadian economic development group rankings and recipients, visit siteselection.com.