Local government | April 6, 2016
The City of Mississauga is proposing required licensing of outdoor clothing donation drop boxes by June 1, 2016 through its Business Licensing By-law.
“There are currently requirements for clothing donation boxes under the City’s Zoning By-law including that they be for registered charities,” said Mickey Frost, Director, Enforcement. “The proposed changes to the Business Licensing By-law will help to more effectively regulate outdoor clothing donation drop boxes to ensure they are kept in a reasonable condition and benefit registered charities only.”
The City’s Zoning By-law requires clothing donation boxes be for registered charities, have a setback of six metres from a residential area and not block parking space. The following additional amendments to the Business Licensing By-law would be made for clothing boxes:
• A licence is required for every clothing donation drop box.
• The by-law would permit the removal of derelict, illegal or unlicensed outdoor clothing donation drop boxes.
• Every new licence application for an outdoor clothing donation drop box would require a letter of agreement between the property owner or agent and the licensee.
• Two clothing donation drop boxes will be permitted per property.
• Outdoor clothing donation drop boxes must be in good working order, free of rust, graffiti and pests and the immediate surrounding area kept in a reasonable condition at all times.
• If clothing donation drop boxes are not maintained in accordance with the by-law, the City may issue a work order to the property owner or to the licensee to bring it into compliance. Failure to comply with the order may lead to suspension and/or cancellation of the licence.
• The fees for removing and disposing illegal clothing donation drop boxes may also be recovered by adding the charge to the property owner’s tax roll and collecting the charge in the same manner as property taxes.
The licence fee for the boxes is under review.
Once Council has enacted the by-law, Enforcement staff will notify all previously identified owners/operators of outdoor clothing donation drop boxes and related property owners of the requirement of a business licence under the Business Licensing By-law by June 1, 2016.
The by-law amendment for the clothing donation boxes will be on the April 13, 2016 Council Agenda for final approval.
Senior Communications Advisor
Transportation and Works
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200 ext. 5046