Entertainment and activities | June 17, 2015
Farmers markets are popping up across the city, offering a variety of delicious, fresh, locally grown produce. Farmers markets are packed full of produce and other goods you don’t want to miss out on Celebration Square is hosting the Lions Farmers Market every Wednesday until October 28.
Shoppers can look forward to a huge selection of produce, baked goods, dairy and honey products. If you do stop by make sure to try some of these market favourites:
– Just like Nana used to make, these pies are baked with love and will make any dessert lover crumble. Most pies are filled with in-season fruits like strawberries, apples, cherries and blueberries!
– Nothing is sweeter than the taste of locally produced honey – liquid or on the comb. Some vendors even sell honey-based products like beeswax candles and lip balm.
– Who can resist the smell of fresh bread? Pick up a loaf, a baguette, buns or bagels – it will save you a trip to the bakery! Breads pair well with fresh cheese, jams and spreads.
– A perfect pairing with toast, a bagel, crackers or some pita bread – spreads, jams and preserves from the farmers market are a great way to excite your taste buds.
– With a wide variety of sausages, bacon and specialty deli meats available, try a sample or pick up something you’ve never tried before.
– If you’re looking to try something that is more savoury, bottles of flavoured oil and vinegars are a great choice. They pair really nicely with bread, crackers or to use as salad dressings. Sample some of the Scotch Bonnet hot sauce – it’s sure to kick up the spice level one or two notches!
Thinking about making a fresh fruit salad or trying a new flavoursome veggie salad? Visit the Lions Farmers Market at Celebration Square, in the city’s downtown core every Wednesday at 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. until October 28.
Add a little spice to your next recipe. Red and yellow Chili peppers are available at the Lions Farmers Market at Celebration Square.
Beans are a rich source of fibre and contain excellent levels of vitamin A. Pick up a variety of beans at the Lions Farmers Market at Celebration Square.
Nothing says its summer than the sweet taste of Ontario strawberries. These ripe, delicious berries are great with cereal, a smoothie or topped over a bowl of ice cream! Pick up a pint at Lions Farmers Market at the Celebration on Wednesday!
Available in a variety of colours like red, green, yellow and orange – pick up some perfect peppers at the farmers market. Packed full of vitamin C and vitamin A, this veggie tastes great in salads, as a topping on pizza or alone with some dip!
With the variety of in season fruits available like peaches and blueberries, pick up a pint, crate or basket full of your favourites all summer long!
Eat your radishes! This edible root veggie can be a great addition to salads to add a bit of crunch, or as part of a garnish for meat dishes. They are eaten raw, cooked or pickled. Why not try something different and pick up a few at the local farmers market!
For more information, visit mississaugacelebrationsquare.ca.