City services | October 2, 2014
Next week marks the start of Fire Prevention Week, October 5 to 11. In partnership with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the theme for this year’s campaign is Smoke Alarms Save Lives: Test Yours Every Month.
What: Mississauga Firefighters will be at three locations during the week to talk to residents and inform them about the importance of working smoke alarms and fire prevention tips. Booths will be set up inside the stores with children’s activities being hosted by Home Depot.
Where & When:
October 3 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. (Fire trucks will be on site from 2 to 4 p.m.)
October 4 to 5 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Fire trucks will be on site from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and from 2 to 4 p.m.)
October 6 to 8 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
October 9 to 10 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. / October 11 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Fire Prevention Week is a weeklong campaign that informs residents and the community about fire awareness, prevention and safety. Fire Prevention Week is supported nationally by fire departments across Canada. To learn more about fire prevention, home safety tips and fire escape plans, visit mfeshomesafehome.ca or call 905-896-5908.
Maintaining Smoke Alarms:
• Test smoke alarms monthly by pushing the test button
• Gently vacuum dust out of smoke alarms twice a year
• Change batteries every year or when you hear low warning beeps
• Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years for best performance
• Always replace electrical smoke alarms with an electrical alarm. For optimal detection, ensure electrical alarms have a battery backup
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200, ext. 5053