Entertainment and activities | May 17, 2016
Hot or not, welcome summer to the Square with a lot of pep this Victoria Day long weekend.
Pep Rally is the Square’s first City-run event of the summer season. With the activities on the agenda, those winter cobwebs will disappear in no time.
Visitors will have the chance to experience:
• a 25ft high rock climbing wall;
• giant sandboxes and life-sized board games;
• an Ontario Dock Dogs Show; and much, much more.
Come hungry because the line-up of food trucks will be serving a taste of Canadiana from beavertails to poutines. Back bacon isn’t just for Sunday anymore.
Monday, May 23, 2016 (Victoria Day)
Noon to 4 p.m.
Mississauga Celebration Square
300 City Centre Dr.
Fireworks won’t be happening on Celebration Square this Victoria Day weekend so if you decide to go home and use fireworks, think safety first and take the time to review the City’s Fireworks By-Law 293-01.
• No fireworks can be set off on a public street or roadway within Mississauga at any time.
• No fireworks can be set off in a park at any time without a valid approved permit.
• No person shall hold a public fireworks display without a permit issued by the Fire Chief.
• Fireworks should only be purchased from a licensed retailer permitted to sell fireworks to the general public within the City of Mississauga as per By-Law 340-01.
Fireworks Safety Tips
• Choose an area that measures at least 30 metres by 30 metres and is free of obstructions.
• Carefully read the instructions on each fireworks.
• Check wind direction and wind speed and keep a large pail of water nearby.
• For a good launching site, bury the device up to half its length in the ground or in a pail or box filled with sand.
• During the show, wear safety goggles.
• Keep all spectators at least 20 metres away.
• Do not allow children to set off fireworks.
• Never attempt to set off fireworks that have misfired.
• Do not put fireworks in your pockets, do not throw them and do not keep them in your hand.
For more tips on fireworks safety, contact the Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services (MFES), Fire Prevention and Life Safety team at 905-896-5908 or visit MFES online.
Pep Rally may be the first event on the Square this summer season, but it certainly isn’t the last. Celebration Square will be hopping all summer long with amazing events featuring performances by internationally-acclaimed artists including:
Mississauga Celebration Square hosts a dynamic mix of free events and festivals throughout the year. The summer season offers an eclectic variety of events, including weekly fitness classes and movie nights, concerts, a Canada Day Celebration, food truck rallies, festivals and much more.
To find out more, download the 2016 summer calendar.
Communications Advisor, Community Services
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200, ext. 3940