Media story

Thinking about starting a business in Mississauga? Here’s what you should know

If you're considering starting a business in Mississauga, it's important to know more about City-issued business licenses that are needed to run a business.

City services | May 2, 2024

If you’re planning to start a business in Mississauga, it’s important to be aware that most businesses in Mississauga will require a City business license to operate legally. This means that you need to apply for and obtain a business license before you can start operating your business.

Food truck selling popiscles

The City of Mississauga requires businesses to obtain a license to ensure that they comply with all the necessary regulations and by-laws. This helps to protect and safeguard the public and maintain the integrity of the business community.

Business licences are non-transferable, and licence fees are non-refundable and not pro-rated. Operating without a valid business license is illegal. The Enforcement Division at the City manages both Business and Mobile Licences.

There are two categories of licenses offered by the City:

  • Business licences (fixed locations and other types of business licences)
  • Mobile licences

Business licensing – Fixed business licences

If you’re starting a new business, it’s important to determine if your business activities require a licence. There are more than 25 fixed business licenses. The business must be located on a property zoned for permitted use. Some businesses that may require a licence include:

  • Adult bookstore
  • Adult entertainment business
  • Amusement arcade
  • Auto service station
  • Billiard parlour
  • Body rub business owner
  • Breeding or boarding kennel
  • Clothing donations drop box
  • Fireworks sales (also requires a fire prevention inspection and an approval letter)
  • Medical marihuana production facility
  • Methadone clinic or pharmacy
  • Night club
  • Parking lot
  • Pawnbroker shop
  • Personal services setting
  • Pet Shop
  • Public hall
  • Restaurant or retail food premises (eatery)
  • Salvage yard
  • Second-hand goods shop
  • Tanning facility
  • Tobacco sales
  • Vehicle pound facility
  • Auctioneer
  • Body rub attendant
  • Carnival or circus
  • Secondhand goods shop employee
  • Trader / Hawker peddler

A refreshment cart selling

Trades licensing

There are also licences required for certain skilled trade business and individuals who operate:

  • Plumbing contractor & Master plumber
  • Heating Contractor and Heating Master/Installer
  • Driveway Paving contractor
  • Building renovator
  • Drain Contractor and Drain layer

If you’re interested in applying for a business licence in Mississauga, book an appointment to visit the Compliance and Licensing Enforcement office at 3235 Mavis Rd., ground floor.

Learn more about business licensing here.

Mobile business licensing

If your business involves operating vehicles, you will need a mobile business license for:

Most mobile business licenses must be applied for in person. Only certain types of mobile business licenses can be applied for online. Book an appointment to submit your documents at our office on the ground floor at 3235 Mavis Rd.

A caravan that is a taxi

Outdoor mobile businesses

If your business runs outdoors, such as an ice cream truck, food truck, refreshment cart, driving school or parking lot, it’s considered a mobile business. Vehicles used by the public like taxicabs and limousines are also considered mobile businesses. There are different licence requirements for owners and drivers.

Learn more about mobile business licensing here.

Looking to start a business?

Our team at IDEA Mississauga provides business advice for starting a business. Looking to start a new business, here is where to start.

So, if you’re a new or seasoned business owner or looking to start a new business in Mississauga, make sure to learn more about the types of business licences you need.

To apply for a business license in Mississauga, you can visit the City’s website or contact the Business Licensing Office for more information by calling 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) or contact us online.


Media contact

City of Mississauga Media Relations
905-615-3200, ext. 5232
TTY: 905-896-5151