Come out and catch the spirit of the Toronto 2015 Pan American and Parapan American Games at the City of Mississauga’s: Viva Pan Am Mississauga One-year Countdown celebration.
Thursday, July 10, 2014
3 to 10 p.m.
3 to 6 p.m. – Viva Pan Am Mississauga Street Party
Enjoy an afternoon street festival with sport demonstrations, interactive Pan Am displays, a visit from PACHI the mascot, food trucks and an eclectic mix of live cultural performances by steel drum, samba and percussion artists.
6:15 p.m. – Parade of Pan American and Parapan American Flags and Official Ceremony
Ceremony speakers: Mississauga Ward 3 Councillor, Chris Fonseca (event MC) and Toronto 2015 Pan American/Parapan American Games Board of Directors Chair, The Honourable David R. Peterson.
7 to 10 p.m. – Evening Music Celebration
Enjoy live music with Latin, Reggae and Soca rhythms with Adonis Puentes, Steele and Moses Revolution.
Mississauga Celebration Square
300 City Centre Drive
Mississauga, Ontario, L5B 3C1
The Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games take place from July 10 to 26, 2015 and the Parapan Am Games from August 7 to 15, 2015. The Games will welcome more than 10,000 athletes and officials from 41 countries as well as tourists, media and members of the Games family.
The City of Mississauga is one of 14 host communities outside of Toronto that will host events in both the Pan Am and Parapan Games. The Hershey Centre will be known during Games time as the Mississauga Sports Centre; where karate, judo, taekwondo and wrestling will be staged during the 2015 Pan Am Games followed by wheelchair rugby, powerlifting and goalball during the 2015 Parapan Am Games. The Hershey Centre (Mississauga Sports Centre) is the only venue that has competitions every day of the Pan Am and Parapan Am Games.
Working to ensure the success of the Games in the City of Mississauga are the members of Mississauga’s Pan Am and ParaPan Am Host Committee:
- Mississauga Councillor Chris Fonseca, Ward 3
- Mississauga Councillor Frank Dale, Ward 4
- Mississauga Councillor Bonnie Crombie, Ward 5
- Mississauga Councillor Pat Saito, Ward 9
- Mississauga West/Toronto Tourism, Robert Kawamoto
- Mississauga Sports Council President, Lisa Alexander
- Executive Director, Hershey Centre, Mike Hamilton
- Commissioner of Community Services, Paul Mitcham
- Director of Recreation, Howie Dayton
- Director of Culture, Andrew Whittemore
- Director of Communications, Ivana Di Millo
- Director of Economic Development, Susan Amring
- Director of Transit, Geoff Marinoff
- Director of Works Operations and Maintenance, Geoff Wright
- District Manager North/East, Stu Taylor
- Sports Manager, Clara Grassia