Film, TV and photography permits

You’ll need a permit to film on City of Mississauga streets, property and parks for commercial or student productions.

You also need a permit if you plan to take commercial or wedding photos within City facilities, such as arenas, community centres, parks, museums or halls.

Apply for a film permit

Film permit applications can be submitted online.

Apply for film permit

Before applying, review the two different types of permits to understand which option best suits your filming request.

Film permit: For commercial or student filming requests involving locations specific to the City of Mississauga’s properties and assets such as right-of-way (roadways, sidewalks and boulevards), facilities and parks. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Parking, equipment, and/or filming positions on a roadway, sidewalk, and/or boulevard
  • Vehicles or equipment that impede traffic (such as wide load, camera arms)
  • Traffic control (intermittent stoppages, closures)
  • Community centres, arenas, pools, parks
  • Paid parking areas and parking lots

Grid permit: For commercial or student filming requests that only involve camera-in-car filming, with the flow of traffic on roadways under the jurisdiction of the City of Mississauga.

Supporting documents

After submitting your film permit application, the Production must to provide the following:

You will be informed if you need to provide these additional items:

We will contact you to discuss the details of your permit. Once your permit has been approved and paid, it will be emailed to you.

During filming, you must keep your film permit with you at all times. All vehicles permitted on location must also have a copy of the film permit displayed clearly on their windshield.

Film permit fees

If your filming requires the use of a City street, sidewalk or boulevard, a fee of $435.10 (plus HST) will apply.

If you’re filming on City property such as parks, libraries or community centres, location fees will also apply.

If you cancel an approved permit before paying the fee, a cancellation fee of 15% will apply as per the standard City of Mississauga Film Permit Terms and Conditions. If a permit has been approved and paid for, there will be no refund of fees.

Application timelines

Applications must be made to the Film Office a minimum of four business days in advance of filming activity (permit finalization). Where required based on details of the request, additional processing time may be necessary (such as resident approval).

If your film permit must be processed in less than three business days, an additional Expedited Fee of $104 (plus HST) will apply. Note that we cannot guarantee processing of rush applications.

A cancellation fee is not applicable to expedited (rush) permits. Cancelled expedited permits must be paid in full.

Student productions

If you’re a film student, list your school as the film company on your permit application. Your school must provide proof of insurance for you.

Commercial drones and aerial filming

To film with a commercial drone you’ll need to follow all Transport Canada’s drone safety rules.

Prior to flight you’ll need to submit:

Apply for a photography permit

You can book a City facility to take commercial, group or wedding photographs by completing the facility rental or park permit request form.

After your application is submitted, the Customer Service Centre will follow up with you to confirm your booking.

You can contact the Customer Service Centre by phone at 905-615-4100 or in person at Paramount Fine Foods Centre, 5600 Rose Cherry Place from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Wedding photography

Weddings and groups will get a 90 minute block of time with a photography permit. Reservations by Mississauga residents are on a first-come, first-served basis. You can make a reservation up to 10 months in advance. If you’re not a Mississauga resident, you can make a reservation two months in advance.

Commercial drones and aerial photography

To take photos with a commercial drone you’ll need to follow all Transport Canada’s drone safety rules.

Prior to flight you’ll need to submit: