Trade business licensing

If you’re operating a trade business in the City of Mississauga, you need to apply for a business operating licence.

The following trades require a licence to operate in the City:

  • Building renovator
  • Paving, plumbing or heating contractor
  • Master plumber, heating installer or drain layer

If you already have a licence, it needs to be renewed annually.

Trades business licence requirements

To apply for a trade business operating licence you’ll need to submit:

  • A Business Licence Application
  • A copy of your business registration documents
  • Certificate of Insurance (minimum $2 million construction liability completed by your insurance provider)
  • Certificate of Qualification from Skilled Trades Ontario
  • A criminal record search for building renovator and paving contractor licences. A criminal record search must be done within 30 days of your application by police services from the municipality you live in.
  • A letter of employment showing at least two years of practical experience for master plumber, heating installer, building renovator and paving contractor licences.
  • Building renovators and drain layers must pass a written exam set by the City with a minimum grade of 70%. You may be exempt if you hold a current licence issued by another municipality in Ontario that required successful completion of a written exam resulting in a valid acceptable certification.
  • Drain Layers who hold a valid Certificate of Qualification from the Skill Trades Ontario will be exempt from writing the test.

For the specific documents required for your business check the Trade Business Licence Requirements Chart.

Apply for or renew your licence

Complete your application form and gather the supporting documents and approvals you need. These documents depend on the kind of licence you’re applying for.

If all the requirements are met and documents are in order, your licence will be issued right away.

If you would like to appeal a licensing decision, contact us to request a hearing from the Appeal Tribunal.

In person

A business owner or director can provide an authorization letter for an agent to complete and submit an application on their behalf.

You’ll only be admitted to the building if you have a scheduled appointment. Only one person may attend the appointment. If you’re late by 10 minutes or more, your appointment will be cancelled and you’ll need to reschedule.

By mail

Submit your application form, supporting documents, approvals and licence fees by mail to the following address:

Compliance and Licensing Enforcement
3235 Mavis Road, ground floor
Mississauga, ON L5C 1T7

Contact us

If you have any questions about licensing your business, call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) or email