Apply for a Marriage Licence
How to apply
Follow the steps below to apply to the City of Mississauga for an Ontario Marriage Licence.
- Complete and submit the Marriage Licence Application Form online. You will receive a confirmation number once your application is submitted.
- One applicant may bring a printout of the application with original signatures of both applicants along with original identification for both applicants, to the City Clerk’s Office on the 2nd floor, Civic Centre, 300 City Centre Drive.
If you’re unable to bring a printout of the application, both applicants must be present while submitting identification documents at the City Clerk’s Office.
The marriage licence will be issued immediately, so long as the documents of both applicants are in order.
You must bring two original pieces of acceptable identification for you and your partner. One must be a photo ID issued in the past 10 years.
Any identification that is not in English or French requires a translation from a Certified Translator.
- Original Birth Certificate
- Canadian refugee travel document (with photo)
- Change of Name Certificate
- Current Citizenship card with photo (issued within the past 10 yrs.)
- Driver's Licence / Enhanced Driver¿s Licence (with photo)
- Photo Identity card from any country (issued within past 10 yrs.)
- Nexus card
- Ontario Photo ID Card
- Permanent Residency Card
- Record of Immigration Landing (with photo)
- United States Green Card (with photo)
Not acceptable identification: Health Card or Social Insurance Number (SIN) cards.
Marriage licence fee
$140.00* payable by Cash, Debit, Visa, Master Card or American Express.
(*Subject to change without notice)
Office of the City Clerk, 2nd Floor, Civic Centre
300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(closed statutory holidays)
After hours appointments are available on Wednesdays until 5:45 for the months of June, July and August.
For more information or to book an appointment please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).
If you’re 16 or 17 years old, you will need written consent on Form 6 from both parents or guardian. For more information call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).
Divorced in Canada
If you were granted a divorce in Canada, you will need to show the original or court certified copy of the Certificate of Divorce or a Decree Absolute.
A Judgement or Court Order issued by the Court, photocopies or certificates certified by a Lawyer or Notary Public are not acceptable proof of divorce.
Divorced outside Canada
If you were granted a divorce outside Canada, you will need to provide additional documents. Please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) or go to Service Ontario for more information.
- If you don’t understand English or French, you will need an interpreter. The interpreter must have appropriate identification and complete a declaration.
- An Ontario marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for 89 days from the date of issue.
- There is no waiting period to be married once the licence is issued in Ontario.
- Ontario has no residency or blood test requirements and does not permit marriage by proxy.
- There is no refund if the marriage licence is lost, stolen, damaged or expired.
Request a civil ceremony
Civil marriage information package
Demande de Licence de Mariage