Provincial Offences Tickets

1. (a) I have received a ticket - what are my options?

As indicated on the back of your ticket there are four options available to all defendants and there are 30 days in which to choose an option:

  • Pay the fine
    - attend any provincial court office in Ontario.
    - pay by mail
    - pay by phone (905-615-4500, Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
    - pay online

  • Walk-in guilty - if you wish to plead guilty to the charge but would like to discuss the fine you must attend at the courthouse.

    Mon, Fri - 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
    Mon, Wed, Fri - 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

    A plea of guilty will be entered and you may seek additional time to pay the fine, or, in certain circumstances, the Justice of the Peace may consider reducing the fine.  Please note that any demerit points that apply to your offense will remain in effect.

  • Not guilty - attend at the court office and complete a Notice of Intention to Appear form within 15 days of receiving a ticket.  A Notice of Trial will be sent to you. Be sure to advise the court of your current address and you must follow-up with the court if you do not receive a Notice of Trial within 3 month.

  • First Attendance Meeting - you have the option of requesting a First Attendance Meeting with the Prosecutor to discuss your charge. The Investigating Officer will not be in attendance at this meeting.  You must attend the courthouse to request this meeting.

    The Prosecutor will consider the circumstances of the offence, your driving record, and your ability to pay the fine.

    As a result of this meeting your matter may be resolved by way of a guilty plea to the original charge or to a lessor charge (if offered by the Prosecutor). If resolved, you and the Prosecutor will appear before the Justice of the Peace. If you plead guilty, you will be found guilty, or if the matter cannot be resolved, your trial option will remain.

1 (b). I have received a summons - what are my options?
You or your representative must appear at the place and time indicated on your summons.  Failure to do so has serious ramifications up to and including imprisonment

2. What happens if I don't do anything after I have received a ticket?
Once 30 days has passed, the charge will be placed on a Fail to Respond docket and a Justice of the Peace will review the offence notice and may convict you in absentia. Once you have been convicted it is too late to choose any of the options indicated on the back of your ticket.

3. How do I pay my fine?
Payments can be made in person at any Provincial Offences court in Ontario by cash, debit, Visa, Mastercard, American Express or can be made online.  Cheques or credit card payments can be forwarded by mail. Just complete the payment slip and enclose it with your cheque or credit card information in this envelope.

Please note that a charge of $35.00 will be applied to all cheques dishonoured by the banks.

4. I don't understand exactly what the charge means - how can I find out more information?
To find out more information about your charge the attached link will take you to the Ministry of the Attorney General site.

5. How many demerit points will I receive once I am convicted of this charge?
Only moving violations have demerit points attached to the conviction. These demerit points are determined and administered by the Ministry of Transportation. Use the MTO link at the bottom of this paragraph to find out more information about whether your charge carries any demerit points and the number of demerit points. This link will take you to the appropriate MTO site where you can select the "Driver Licensing" option.

6. How can I receive more information about the current status of my driving record?
All driving record information is maintained and administered by the Ministry of Transportation. The following link will advise what steps need to be taken in order to receive a driving record abstract. Select the "Ministry Online Services" option.

7. What is the Victim Fine Surcharge noted on my ticket and do I have to pay it?
As of January 1, 1995 all provincial offences fines except for parking infractions carry a victim fine surcharge. The surcharge operates on a sliding scale, depending on the amount of the fine. All surcharge monies are credited to the Victim's Justice Fund. Money in the fund is used to support programs that provide assistance to victims or witnesses of a provincial or federal crime.  The victim fine surcharge is part of the fine and must be paid in full and if not, enforcement proceedings can be taken (such as driver licence suspension) by the Provincial Offences court, regardless of the outstanding amount owing.

8. I received my ticket - will the court forward any other notification? What if I do not receive this notification?
No. The ticket issued to you by the Officer is your formal notification that a charge has been laid and that you must choose an option within 30 days.

If an option is not selected within 30 days, a Conviction Notice (Notice of Fine and Due Date) will be sent to the address noted on your ticket upon conviction by the Justice of the Peace.