Join us for the official opening of Danville Park
Friday, September 29 at 6:30 p.m.
6275 Danville Rd, Mississauga
The event will also include the unveiling of the park’s aviation-themed feature Final Approach Danville Terminal in partnership with
The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA).
The official ceremony begins at 6:30 p.m. Online registration isn’t required but is strongly encouraged.
Danville Park has been designed and developed with year-round activity in mind. The site
will include a premiere cricket site suitable for tournament play and a toboggan hill with accessible pathways to the top of the hill.
In addition, the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) has partnered with the City of Mississauga to create an Airplane Viewing Platform at the park’s pinnacle. Funded by the GTAA and soaring 25 metres above the surrounding area, the Platform will be an excellent location for viewing planes leaving Pearson International Airport and will celebrate the
aircraft industry’s contribution to Mississauga’s development.
- The 1st phase of the project is complete, which moved 230,000 cubic metres of earth to shape the park.
- The 2nd phase will build two cricket fields, toboggan hill, parking, elevated overlook, maintenance yard and landscaping.
- The Airplane Viewing Platform will be enhanced to include binoculars, seating and interpretive signs.
- Construction is scheduled to be complete July 2017.
- The park is expected to be open to the public September 2017.
To develop a four season use park with recreational facilities, passive use and supporting amenties along the HWY 410 Parkway Belt corridor between HWY 401 and Courtneypark Drive East. The parkland will offer tournament play cricket fields, pedestrian and cycling experiences for all abilities, toboggan hill(s) while providing infrastructure to accommodate future amenities such as sport lighting and washrooms and change rooms. This project implements recommendations in the Parks & Forestry 2014 Future Directions Master Plan.
The goal of the project is to provide new facilities that are geared to the neighbourhood while creating a safe, healthy and vibrant community park which will include:
- Create a healthy, safe, accessible public environment
- Provide for recreational activities that complement and take advantage of the site’s unique topography
- Establish a unique park identity
- Protect and enhance existing storm water systems and create natural areas
- Design and contruct with an environmentally responsible approach
- Design with a regard for maintenance efficiency