In April 2014, the City renewed its contract with AutoShare, which allows City of Mississauga employees and residents to reduce their personal vehicle use by booking an environmentally friendly vehicle and returning it when they are done. The Transportation and Works department is now also supporting the addition of Zipcar car sharing service in the downtown for residents and employees to use by providing the car sharing company with on-street parking spaces at a cost of $65 per month.
“The City will continue to work on car sharing initiatives that improve mobility choices for employees and residents in Mississauga”, said Martin Powell, Commissioner, Transportation and Works Department. “These ongoing efforts will assist us in developing a transit-oriented City that will create a more sustainable Mississauga.”
CarShare – The Facts
- Three Autoshare vehicles are located downtown on Burnhamthorpe Road and Living Arts Drive
- Since the start of the program community trips have reached over 1,700
- 16 City divisions have used the car share service.
- 269 trips were taken using car share service by 40 City employees.
- Two Zipcar vehicles to be located on Burnhamthorpe Road east of Duke of York Boulevard and Webb Drive west of Duke of York Boulevard
- Car sharing companies will pay the City $65 per month for an on-street parking space
Since 2007, the City of Mississauga has partnered with Smart Commute Mississauga which has implemented programs and facilities to encourage and support staff that carpool, take transit, cycle or walk to work. Annually Smart Commute staff attend over 100 on-site events to promote the use of commuter options to the staff of their member firms.
“Smart Commute Mississauga continues to be well received with City Staff at a 90 percent approval rating” said Glenn Gumulka, Executive Director, Sustain Mobility. “We are looking forward to the continued expansion of the program to businesses within the City.”
Smart Commute Mississauga – The Facts
- 53 member organizations representing over 94,000 employees and post-secondary students participating in the commuter options programming
- 50,583,000 km (31,430,819 miles) – reduced vehicle travel
- 768,583 – reduced vehicle trips
- $30,590,548 in commuter savings
Transportation Demand Management (TDM) Coordinator, Lorenzo Mele and Executive Director of Sustain Mobility, Glenn Gumulka provided an update with members of Council at last week’s Transportation Committee.
More information on the car share service can be found online at www.mississauga.ca
or www.autoshare.com/mississauga and information on Smart Commute Mississauga can be found at www.smartcommutemiss.ca.