Skip to content

Submit a petition to City Council

A petition is a written request signed by residents of Mississauga that can be presented to City Council. You can use a petition to request that City Council take action on a specific issue.

All of the information provided on petitions to Council, or City Committees will be publicly available.

Guidelines for your petition

Use the Petition Information Template. The petition must:

  • Be typed or legibly handwritten in pen
  • Contain a clear statement
  • Use an appropriate and respectful tone. It must not contain any improper or offensive language or information.
  • Clearly disclose on each page that it will be considered a public document and that the information contained in it may be subject to the scrutiny of the City and members of the general public.

Each petitioner must:

  • Print and sign his or her own name, original signatures only.
  • Provide their full address and property’s roll number (for a noise wall petition)

Local improvement petitions

A local improvement is a project that’s a greater benefit to your neighbourhood instead of the whole City. Typically a local improvement is undertaken near or next to to your property, for example a noise wall.

The Municipal Act says that a petition for a local improvement must be signed by at least two-thirds of the owners representing at least one-half of the value of the lots liable to be charged for the work.

If two or more people are jointly assessed for a lot, in determining the sufficiency of a petition, they will be treated as one property owner. The majority of them must sign the petition for it to be determined sufficient.

How to submit a petition

Complete the Petition Submission Form. Submit your petition to the Office of the City Clerk by 4:30 p.m. on Monday the week before the City Council meeting. If you submit your petition after this deadline, it will presented on the next available Council agenda.

Contact us

If you have any questions about the petition guidelines or the submission process, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).