A petition is a written request signed by residents of Mississauga that can be presented to City Council. You can use a petition to request that City Council take action on a specific issue.
All of the information provided on petitions to Council, or City Committees will be publicly available.
Guidelines for your petition
Use the Petition Information Template. The petition must:
- Be typed or legibly handwritten in pen
- Contain a clear statement
- Use an appropriate and respectful tone. It must not contain any improper or offensive language or information.
- Clearly disclose on each page that it will be considered a public document and that the information contained in it may be subject to the scrutiny of the City and members of the general public.
Each petitioner must:
- Print and sign his or her own name, original signatures only. During the Covid-19 pandemic, electronic or typed signatures will be accepted.
- Provide their full address and property’s roll number (for a noise wall petition)
Local improvement petitions
A local improvement is a project that’s a greater benefit to your neighbourhood instead of the whole City. Typically a local improvement is undertaken near or next to to your property, for example a noise wall.
The Municipal Act says that a petition for a local improvement must be signed by at least two-thirds of the owners representing at least one-half of the value of the lots liable to be charged for the work.
If two or more people are jointly assessed for a lot, in determining the sufficiency of a petition, they will be treated as one property owner. The majority of them must sign the petition for it to be determined sufficient.
How to submit a petition
Complete the Petition Submission Form and submit by email to email@example.com or by mail to 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, L5B 3C1.
Each petition must be submitted to the Office of the City Clerk no later than 4:00 p.m. eight business days prior to the Council meeting; other wise the petition will be included on the next available Council agenda.
If you have any questions about the petition guidelines or the submission process, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).