A petition is a written request signed by residents of Mississauga that can be presented to City Council. You can use a petition to request that City Council take action on a specific issue.
All of the information provided on petitions to Council, or City Committees will be publicly available.
Guidelines for your petition
Use the Petition Information Template. Petitions created using online platforms such as Change.org will not be accepted.
The petition must:
- Be typed or legibly handwritten in pen
- Contain a clear statement
- Use an appropriate and respectful tone. It must not contain any improper or offensive language or information.
- Clearly disclose on each page that it will be considered a public document and that the information contained in it may be subject to the scrutiny of the City and members of the general public.
Each petitioner must:
- Print and sign his or her own name, original signatures only. During the Covid-19 pandemic, electronic or typed signatures will be accepted.
- Provide their full address and property’s roll number (for a noise wall petition)
Local improvement petitions
A local improvement is a project that’s a greater benefit to your neighbourhood instead of the whole City. Typically a local improvement is undertaken near or next to your property, for example a noise wall.
The Municipal Act says that a petition for a local improvement must be signed by at least two-thirds of the owners representing at least one-half of the value of the lots liable to be charged for the work.
If two or more people are jointly assessed for a lot, in determining the sufficiency of a petition, they will be treated as one property owner. The majority of them must sign the petition for it to be determined sufficient.
How to submit a petition
Complete the Petition Submission Form and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, L5B 3C1.
Each petition must be submitted to the Office of the City Clerk no later than 4:00 p.m. eight business days prior to the Council meeting; other wise the petition will be included on the next available Council agenda.
If you have any questions about the petition guidelines or the submission process, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).