The City of Mississauga completed building the community centre and continues the development of Mattamy Sports Park. The project will be developed in phases and serve the local community and future urban development along the City’s western boundary, near a tributary of Sixteen Mile Creek, with a community centre and a 57-acre park.
Phase 1 of the build was completed in fall 2021 with the opening of the community centre and sports park. See all the current available amenities at the Churchill Meadows Community Centre and Mattamy Sports Park.
According to the City of Mississauga’s Strategic Plan, one of the City’s strategic goals is to build and maintain its infrastructure for its citizens for generations to come. Sound, functional and attractive buildings, facilities, roads, transit, public and open spaces are integral to completing our neighbourhoods as we build a City for the 21st century.
Formerly agricultural lands, with a currently protected wetland, the site will be the new home of 75,000 square foot community centre and 57 acre park. Approximately half of the land will be developed in Phase One, with further development in future phases.
- To provide a City owned community centre and sports park for the residents of Ward 10 and neighbouring communities and to serve City-wide sport’s needs
- Design and build public spaces that are consistent with the recommendations of the 2014 and 2019 Future Directions, Recreation, Parks and Forestry, Library and Fire and Emergency Services Master Plans
- Design with an environmentally responsible approach and to LEED Silver Standards
- Develop a site that meets accessibility requirements
- Create a design that provides for variety of recreational activities, including passive and programmed uses
April 2023 update
The City is continuing with Phase 2 work on the development of Mattamy Sports Park. Planned new features for this development phase include:
- Six tennis courts
- Tennis bubble structure
- Lit cricket pitch
- Lit artificial turf soccer/field hockey field
- Portable trailer washroom
- Shade structure pavilion
- Completion of paved trail and outdoor fitness loop
Public engagement sessions were held in 2015 to gather ideas and feedback from residents on the uses and recreational amenities for the park. Public input from the public engagement sessions is summarized in the following reports.
- Mississauga Park 459 Public Consultation Summary Report (August 2015)
- Park 459 Summary of Input Received by the City via e-mail (August 2015)
Among the top desired park features identified through the engagement were a leash-free area, natural areas and tennis courts.
In 2019 the City expanded the park to the south. Additional community engagement took place in 2022 for the expanded park. Through this engagement, the community supported a leash-free zone, trails and natural areas.
As of spring 2023, we are notifying on planned new features for Phase 2. Feedback gathered from the 2015 public engagement process in combination with City planning studies inform the Phase 2 park features.
Mississauga Premier Racquet Club Proposal
In February 2021, Mississauga Council gave the City authority to negotiate a partnership with Premier Racquet Clubs to build and operate an indoor tennis facility at Churchill Meadows Community Centre and Mattamy Sports Park as part of the Phase 2 development project.
The proposed facility that includes a tennis bubble intends to serve the needs of recreational and competitive players in the community, while providing opportunities to host provincial, national and international sporting events in Mississauga.
The City’s received approvals for the tennis bubble’s zoning requirements. This process included public notification. Inclusion of the tennis bubble feature in Phase 2 is subject to agreement with a funding partner for its construction.