1March 18, 2024
Phase 1: Construction starts
Phase 2: Rinks 1 and 3 reopen for rentals and programming
Phase 3: Project complete
Built in 1996, Iceland is an ice facility which has served residents of Mississauga and the surrounding community year-round for over 20 years.
Iceland Arena has been in high demand for various minor hockey associations, junior teams, tournaments and provincial championships. During the redevelopment project, Iceland Arena will be closed for an extended period of time as we plan to replace several systems and complete facility renovations to prevent major operation interruptions in the future.
- Mechanical and HVAC equipment
- Refrigeration equipment
- Compressor equipment
- Underfloor heat exchangers and water treatment system
- Rink dasher boards (Rinks 1 to 4)
- All gate components and hardware
- Rubber throughout the dressing rooms, arena corridors, and main lobby
- Roof renewal
- Building envelope renewal
- Benches throughout dressing rooms (Rinks 1 to 4)
- Ammonia system
- Board/glass design and safety at all termination points (Rinks 1 to 4) using curved, spring loaded plexi-corners
- Changeroom shower refresh
- Green House Gas Reduction Feasibility Study as per Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) requirements
- Rink 2 redesign to accommodate sledge hockey users and provide barrier free features
- Rink 2 Changerooms, washrooms, referee, and spare changeroom modified as per Facility Accessibility Design requirements
- Add sliding doors from lobby to Rinks 1 to 4 to improve accessibility and convenience
Facility access during construction
The building will be locked at both the North and South entrances. No ice or floor rentals will be available to the public during the construction period.
Access will be provided to each of the tenants during the construction period. In addition, access will continue to be made to each of the tenants’ customers and/or staff during the closure period despite the arena not being in use by the general public.
Specific details will be shared with all tenants closer to the time of the closure in March 2024.
Other arenas (Tomken Twin Arena, Erin Mills Twin Arena, and Meadowvale 4 Rinks) will be kept open in 2024 to ensure all spring/summer programming can continue as normal through the summer months.
Our Customer Service Centre team will reach out to all user groups who typically use ice facilities in the summer months to find alternative locations while Iceland is closed.