The City of Mississauga is renovating and building a new addition to Carmen Corbasson Community Centre to meet the needs of the Lakeview community by constructing a new aquatic and fitness center as well as improving infrastructure to address population growth and changing demographics in the area. The project will aim to serve the community through improving the quality of recreational services and implementing higher accessibility and green building standards.
The existing community centre (formerly known as Cawthra Arena) was built in 1972. A major gym expansion and facility modernization was completed in 2002, and the centre has been enjoyed by many residents over the years. The facility was renamed in 2012, in honour of former Mississauga Ward 1 Councillor, Carmen Corbasson.
In accordance with the City of Mississauga’s Strategic Plan, this renovation will provide improved infrastructure for Mississauga’s citizens for generations to come and follow the City’s design principles to integrate sound, functional, accessible and attractive buildings, facilities, public and open spaces to build a City for the 21st century.
Learn more about the City’s Recreation Master plan.
- Improve the quality of recreational services provided to the residents of Mississauga to achieve the City’s goal of providing access to quality recreational facilities in order to maintain healthy lifestyles
- Address the aging state of municipal infrastructure and implement lifecycle upgrades
- Improve accessibility and energy efficiency to meet the City’s accessibility goals and Mississauga Green Building standard
- Design with an environmentally responsible approach and achieve LEED Silver Standards
- Develop a site that meets Mississauga accessibility requirements and improve building circulation through enhanced accessibility, wayfinding and connectivity between program spaces
- Alleviate pressure on existing recreational infrastructure by addressing population growth, changing demographics and cultural diversity
- Create strong linkages between indoor and outdoor activity spaces and introduce daylight throughout the building
- Establish a clear, strong entrance identity and convenient location for pedestrians and motorists accessing the building
- Meet the increasing demand for aquatics in the area
Mississauga Senior’s Centre
The Mississauga Senior’s Centre is not part of the scope of the redevelopment project at Carmen Corbasson CC, and will remain open throughout the redevelopment. Site access during the redevelopment will change slightly to allow for the construction zone to be secured.
Minor facility updates are being considered over the next couple of years at this location as budget and opportunity allows.
Once completed, residents will enjoy the benefits of:
- New equipment-based fitness centre
- Cardio machines, weights, and fitness studio with wood sprung floor
- New aquatics centre
- 25 meter six lane pool
- Warm water therapy pool
- New multi-purpose space on the ground level
- Enhancements to existing multi-purpose spaces to improve social and recreation opportunities for the community
- Renovations to areas of the indoor arena
- Facility design modernization and improved accessibility within the building
- Improved front entrance and access from the parking lot
- Improved exterior connection to adjacent Mississauga Senior’s Centre
- Upgrades to exterior identity and connection to woodlot
- Improved sustainable and accessible design standards
1Spring/Summer 2021 - Public engagement
Consolidate information and feedback received
2Summer 2021 - Summer 2022
Detailed Design and Contract Documents
3Early 2022 - Late 2023 (TBC)
Site Plan Approval
4Late 2022/Summer 2023
Construction begins 2 year redevelopment
Due to COVID-19, the City has postponed in-person public engagement activities based on public health recommendations and the need for physical distancing.
We welcome the community to join us for this session to provide feedback and input. Register for the information session today!
A virtual public information session will be held on Tuesday June 22, 2021 at 6:30pm.
The redevelopment plan for the Carmen Corbasson Community Centre was informed by several community engagement exercises, including Recreation’s Future Directions Master Plan (2019), Youth Plan and Older Adult Plan consultations.