The study area spans approximately 2,300 metres from Burnhamthorpe Road West to Dundas Street West, in addition to the tributary outlet to the Credit River south of Queensway and west of the southern part of Stavebank Road.
The study area consists of a channelized creek with:
- stacked and single-layered gabion baskets
- rock rip-rap
- concrete drop structures
The majority of the channel was originally constructed approximately 40 to 50 years ago, and rehabilitation was completed over the years for certain segments.
The City determined these segments require rehabilitation through its ongoing erosion monitoring program.
This project aims to:
- mitigate the existing erosion problems
- ensure stability of the creek using natural design techniques where feasible
- protect or enhance the existing natural environment within the area
- Provides long-term erosion protection along the creek banks
- Increases safety and protects nearby infrastructure and property
- Improves the environmental health of the creek while enhancing aquatic habitat and vegetation
- Presents opportunities for planting of native species, and enhanced wildlife habitat where feasible