Apply for exemption from part-lot control

Exemption from part-lot control (PLC) can be used to divide lands. If you own a property within a registered plan of subdivision, that was previously part of a Planning Act public meeting process, you can apply for exemption from PLC from the City.

Online application process

1. Create account and make application request

Start by creating an ePlans account. Then log into ePlans and follow the steps to submit your exemption from PLC request and pay the administration fee.

2. Upload drawings and documents

Shortly after submitting your exemption from PLC request, you’ll receive an email from the City that includes your temporary project number and an invitation to upload drawings and supporting documents. You’ll also need to submit your application form and schedules.

Forms and schedules

Supporting information

  • Draft reference plan showing all existing buildings and setbacks
  • Lot schedule including frontage at street line and at 7.5 m back from the street line, area of each part shown on the reference plan, and use of each part such as easements and rights of way
  • Certification from a consulting engineer (including engineer’s seal) advising that the proposed lot lines do not conflict with the location of lateral services, drainage plans or proposed site plan

Additional documents

These additional documents may also be required:

  • Site plan
  • The registered plan of subdivision
  • The restrictions document (section 118)

3. Prescreen review

After you upload the required information, we’ll do a “prescreen” review to ensure the minimum requirements are met. If everything is correct, we’ll let you know what additional fees need to be paid.

If we still need more information, you’ll be sent a “prescreen corrections” email. All prescreen corrections will need to be made by you in order to move ahead with the application process.

4. Your application is created

Once your request passes the prescreen review and you have paid the fees required, your application will be created and we’ll send you a new application number via email.

5. Department review

Your application will be reviewed by the relevant City departments and agencies to make sure it meets all the requirements. You can view all of the comments in your “Project Status Report” in ePlans.

Resubmit revised or more information

If any of the review groups have withheld your application you will need to resubmit revised or additional information. We’ll send you an “applicant resubmit” email telling you what to do next.

6. Your exemption from PLC is approved

Once the by-law is approved by Council, you’ll be notified via email. The by-law will then be registered by the Office of the City Solicitor.

The by-law is valid for three years. Any land transfers must occur within that time.

Contact us

If you need more information about exemption from PLC, call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits) or email