The City is split up into different “zones”. Each zone identifies uses that are “typically” permitted. Check the permitted uses and zone regulations in the Zoning By-law:
- Uses Permitted in More Than One Zone Category – Section 2.1.9
- C1 to C4 Permitted Uses and Zone Regulations – Table 6.2.1
- CC1 to CC4 and CCOS Permitted Uses and Zone Regulations – Table 7.2.1
- E1 to E3 Permitted Uses and Zone Regulations – Table 8.2.1
- O Zone Permitted Uses and Zone Regulation – Table 5.2.1
You can find your zoning designation and regulations using the property and zoning information map.
Your property might have additional regulations related to permitted uses, always check the zoning regulations for your property.
Zoning staff will confirm that your proposal meets the zoning regulations when you submit your building permit application or through a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy.
If you’re planning to open a business, you must get a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy. When you apply for your certificate the City will confirm whether your business is permitted.
If you need more information, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).