Running a business from home

Specific occupations can operate out of a residential dwelling, such as:

  • Artist or artisan
  • Office
  • Music instruction
  • Tutoring

These occupations are permitted in a detached home as long as they meet the general provisions in subsection 4.1.16 of the Zoning By-law.

A home office may be permitted in other types of dwellings as long as it meets the general provisions in Table of the Zoning By-law.

The zoning of your property might have additional regulations. Review the general provisions, and then check the zoning regulations for your property using the find property information tool.

If something in the general provisions conflicts with the zoning regulations for your property, follow the zoning regulations.

Zoning Certificate of Occupancy

All of these home occupations and home offices must get a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy.

Contact us

If you need more information, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).


The information presented on this web page is provided for information purposes only. It should not be solely relied on when making decisions related to real estate transactions, development proposals or building permits.

We strongly advise you review the text in the official Zoning By-law and/or speak with City staff before making important decisions.