Report an issue with your rental building

If your landlord or property manager isn’t fixing issues in the building you’re renting, you can report it to the City.

For example, you can report issues with heating and plumbing, water damage, pests or the cleanliness of the property.

Report issue

Your personal information is kept confidential. However, if you don’t want to give your name, you can submit an anonymous complaint. If you submit an anonymous complaint, you won’t be able to follow up on the investigation as you won’t receive a service request number.

What happens next

Once we receive a complaint, we’ll create a service request and assign it to an officer (City staff). The officer will investigate to confirm if the landlord or property manager is complying with building maintenance standards, such as:

  • Maintaining adequate and appropriate room temperature throughout the year
  • Keeping heating, ventilation, air conditioning and plumbing in good working order
  • Ensuring interior and exterior lighting in the building is adequate
  • Keeping the building free of litter, debris and pests

The landlord or property manager must fix any building violations found by the officer.

An officer may contact you for more information if you provided your name with the report. If you submitted an anonymous complaint, you won’t be contacted by an officer.

What you can do

Once you report an issue, you can use these tools to find out what the City is doing to solve the problem.

  • Status updates
    Find updates about the issue you reported by using the service request number provided when you submitted a complaint.
    Check status
  • Interactive map
    Find the list of registered apartment buildings, evaluation scores, enforcement actions and service requests.
    Use interactive map

Contact us

If you have questions, call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits). You can also email our customer service department.