Skip to content

Open air burning

Open air burning is allowed in the City of Mississauga, but you may need an open air burn permit. See what type of fires require a permit and those that don’t.

You need a permit to:

  • Set or maintain a fire in any open place, yard, field or construction area which is not enclosed by a building or structure

You don’t need a permit to use:

  • Chimineas
  • Outdoor fireplaces
  • Outdoor appliances
  • Outdoor fire pits
  • Smoke houses
  • Cooking fires

Apply for a permit

To apply for an open air burn permit, visit the Fire Prevention Office between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Fire Prevention Office, second floor
300 City Centre Drive
Mississauga, ON L5B 3C1

Safety, rules and restrictions

It’s your responsibility to make sure outdoor appliance and cooking fires are safe and follow the rules and regulations listed in the Open Air Burning By-law, including:

  • Ensuring your fire is located at least five metres away from any building, structure, property line, tree, hedge, fence, roadway, overhead wire or anything else that could catch fire and burn easily
  • Making sure that your fire won’t cause a nuisance through issues such as excessive smoke or smell
  • Always watching and controlling a fire until it’s extinguished
  • Having a fire extinguisher or garden hose available

Contact us

To find out more information about open air burning, or to submit a complaint, call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits).