You need a permit to plant a garden on the section of land between your property line and the road or the sidewalk.
These items are not allowed in any boulevard gardens:
- Invasive plant species
- Raised planters or above-ground planting structures
- Hardscaping materials or landscaping stones
- Garden or outdoor furniture
- Railings, hoarding or fencing
- Permanent fixtures, chattels, equipment or any non-plant installations, including but not limited to below surface irrigation
You are responsible for locating all utilities such as gas, hydro and cable before starting work on the boulevard. For help, contact ON1Call at 1-800-400-2255.
How to apply
- Fill out the Boulevard Garden Application Form
- Attach a detailed drawing on 8.5” x 11” showing:
- Proposed boulevard garden, including dimension and location relative to fixed features
- All topographical features
- All boundary lines for the lots adjoining the garden
- Street name and municipal address
- Arrow depicting true north
- Attach a sketch of the applicant’s property showing the property line
- Submit the application by email to email@example.com, by fax to 905-615-3172, or in person at the Customer Service Counter.
The current application fee is $50 plus tax and is non-refundable. You can pay by credit card, debit, bank draft, or certified cheque.
If the garden supports natural pollinators such as bees and butterflies, you will not have to pay the $50 fee.
If you need more information, contact Transportation and Works at 905-615-4950 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the Customer Service Counter:
Customer Service Counter (ground floor)
Transportation and Works
3185 Mavis Road
Mississauga, ON L5C 1T7
Open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.