You need a permit to plant a garden on the section of land between your property line and the road or the sidewalk.
These items are not allowed in any boulevard gardens:
- Raised planters or above-ground planting structures
- Hardscaping materials or landscaping stones
- Garden or outdoor furniture
- Railings, hoarding or fencing
- Permanent fixtures, chattels, equipment or any non-plant installations, including but not limited to below surface irrigation
You are responsible for locating all utilities such as gas, hydro and cable before starting work on the boulevard. For help, contact ON1Call at 1-800-400-2255.
Utility providers have rights and agreements to access the lands at any time where a boulevard garden permit is issued and are only required to restore the area to meet City standards.
How to apply
- Fill out the Boulevard Garden Application Form and the Acceptable Plantings Form.
- Attach a detailed drawing on 8.5” x 11” paper showing:
- Proposed boulevard garden, including dimension and location relative to fixed features
- All topographical features
- All boundary lines for the lots adjoining the garden
- Street name and municipal address
- An arrow depicting true north
- Attach a sketch of your property that shows the property lines.
- Submit the application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Permit Administration Services
Transportation and Works
3185 Mavis Road
Mississauga, ON L5C 1T7
The current application fee is $55.35 plus tax. This fee is non-refundable. You can pay by credit card, bank draft, or certified cheque.
If this garden supports natural pollinators, you may be eligible to have this fee waived under the pollinator garden initiative. If you are eligible, you will be notified of the amount required to obtain a permit during the application process.
If you need more information about the application process, contact us at 905-615-4950 (Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.) or email@example.com.