Skip to content

COVID-19: Follow public health measures during the stay-at-home order

Encroachments on City property

You cannot intrude on, in, under, or over the ground of connecting City property for your own purposes.

If your property is next to City parkland, greenbelts, roads, or easements, you must comply with the Encroachment By-law​.

Types of encroachments

Here are some common ways property owners encroach on City property:

  • composters
  • fences and sheds
  • lighting
  • playground equipment
  • dumping
  • irrigation systems
  • flower and vegetable gardens
  • unauthorized mowing, cutting or pruning
  • unauthorized removal of grass, turf, ground cover, wildflowers, shrubs or trees

Your responsibility as a property owner

It’s important to keep the areas next to your property in their natural state. Encroachments can:

  • damage the environment and sensitive ecosystems
  • result in injury or private property damage
  • increase taxpayer costs for restoration of public lands

Know your property lines

When buying a property next to a natural area, you must request a survey to know your property boundaries. You can also identify your boundaries using the City’s ​interactive mapping service​.

If you buy a home with an existing encroachment, you may be responsible for restoration costs.